Application & Admissions FAQs
Here you'll find answers to frequently asked questions about the Davidson Academy Online's application and admission processes.
When is the 2023-24 application deadline?
The 2023-2024 application deadline is February 28, 2023. The next time to apply will be for the 2024-25 school year. The application will open this fall.
Can international students attend Davidson Academy Online?
Davidson Academy Online is only available to students residing in the United States and Canada.
Can students enroll in January?
The Davidson Academy Online is unable to accept mid-year enrollments.
Other than tuition, what additional costs can families expect to pay for Davidson Academy Online activities or fees?
Families are responsible for purchasing textbooks, science lab kits, and a one-time fee of $60 to UNR. Davidson Academy Online does not provide hardware, so students will need to have their own computer to access their courses. Tuition is waived for Nevada residents.
If a student is enrolled in Davidson Academy Online and their sibling is also accepted, is there a tuition discount for the sibling?
Yes, there is a 10 percent discount for each additional sibling. The sibling discount is applied to the younger student(s).
Can I get a list of technology specifications for the course?
Students are required to have a desktop or laptop computer running either Windows or Mac OS. Mobile devices and Chromebooks are only appropriate for those rare occasions when a student needs to access a live session outside of his/her normal work space, but will provide a more limited experience. We issue a drawing tablet to students, as some courses will require handwritten work, and these tablets may be unusable without a Windows or Mac based device. We use the Blackboard and Canvas learning management systems for course delivery, Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace for Education for productivity software, and Zoom for live sessions. Students will need a web camera and noise-cancelling microphone or headset for live sessions. Since our live sessions do use audio and video streaming, a robust internet connection is necessary. Additionally, all science and math courses, starting at Algebra I, require students to have an approved graphing calculator.
What is the minimum age to apply for Davidson Academy Online?
While we recommend that students have 6th grade in progress, we will review an application from a younger applicant if they have completed at least the equivalent of 6th-grade-level work and have a qualifying test score from Accepted Tests page.
It seems like the Davidson Institute and Davidson Academy Online understand that age is not indicative of ability level, so why are there age ranges for applicant eligibility?
While age and ability do not necessarily correlate, it’s been our experience that profoundly gifted students in the posted age ranges have been the most successful at Davidson Academy Online.
Can students take just one or two Davidson Academy Online courses?
Yes, please see the Single-Course Enrollments page.
How do I submit a testing score for the application?
Please see the Accepted Tests page for a list of qualified testing score. For talent search/college placement tests, a copy of an electronic or paper official score report from the talent search organization, College Board, or ACT can be submitted. Individual testing reports should meet or exceed the testing criteria for the grade level the applicant was at the time they took the test for the talent search/college placement testing options. Any testing reports submitted that are not listed in the accepted tests page will be considered supplemental material.
Where can I get my child tested for the application?
Please read the Davidson Institute's article on How to Get Your Child Tested for Giftedness to find out where to get the testing administered.
Application System FAQ
How do I access the Application System?
Go to https://davidsongifted.smapply.io/.
The 2023-24 application is closed. The next time to apply will be for the 2024-25 school year. The application will open this fall.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter for updates on our application.
Which web browsers can be used with the Application System?
To use the Application System, applicants must use the latest version of modern web browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.
- If using Microsoft Edge, make sure you are using version 15 or later. Microsoft Edge instructions on how to determine which version you are using.
- If using Firefox, make sure you are using version 44 or later. Firefox/Mozilla instructions on how to determine which version you are using; download the latest version of Firefox
- If using Google Chrome, make sure you are using version 55 or later. Google Chrome automatically updates whenever it detects that a new version of the browser is available. Check if you are using the most-recently updated version of Google Chrome.
- If using Safari, make sure you are using version 10 or later. Safari instructions on how to determine which version you are using. If you are on a Mac, ensure you have the latest Safari version. If using Safari on Windows, please select another browser as Apple is no longer supporting Safari on Windows.
Can I use a tablet to access the Application System?
The application system has been designed to be mobile friendly; however, you may still find it more efficient to work with the larger screen of a laptop or desktop computer if available.
How do I log in to the system to start applying?
For first-time applicants, click on the link to the Application System which will take you to the login/registration screen. Click Register in the top right corner. This will allow you to create an account.
- Each student applying must have their own account.
- Parents must create their own separate accounts and be added as a collaborator to the student's application.
Once you have created your account you may start an application.
Will I be receiving any email notifications after I apply through the Application System?
You may be receiving email notifications and prompts from our email server. If you do not receive these emails after applying, your mail server may be identifying some of our email as spam. This has been especially true for Hotmail and MSN accounts. If these emails are in your spam folder, enable your anti-spam and parental control software to accept email from "@davidsongifted.org," "@davidsononline.org," and "@davidsonacademy.unr.edu" by adding it to your list of safe senders. Directions for adding an email domain to the safe sender list in most email programs can be found online. For Hotmail and MSN accounts:
- Open your mailbox and click on the Tools icon in upper right hand corner, and select Options
- Under Preventing Junk Mail, click on Safe and Blocked Senders
- Click on Safe Senders
- Add "@davidsongifted.org," "@davidsononline.org," and "@davidsonacademy.unr.edu" to the Sender or Domain To Mark as Safe box
- Click Add To List
- If the mailing is in your Junk E-Mail Folder, open the email and click the Not Junk button.
- Check that the email address or domain is not in your Blocked-Senders list. You can find your Blocke- Senders list by following the directions above and going to Blocked-Senders instead of Safe-Senders. If you see the address on this list, select it and click the Remove button.